New Year. Enhanced Mission.
Palacio Magazine: Reset 2016
Palacio Magazine launched in 2015 with a print magazine and a website. We partnered with Leadership Long Beach on our premiere print issue dedicated to Leadership with Mayor Robert Garcia on the cover.
Councilwoman Lena Gonzalez and her son graced the cover of our second print edition dedicated to education. We featured interviews with LBUSD Superintendent Christopher J Steinhauser, LBCC President Eloy Oakley and CSULB President Jane Close Conoley.
We were a media partner with the Long Beach New Blues Festival, The Center and its Qfilm Festival and co-sponsored an outdoor Long Beach screening of the documentary Underwater Dreams in partnership with the Art Exchange, Ambulante California and the California Endowment.
Palacio Magazine’s vision and mission has been simple from the beginning. The vision: An engaged city inspired to transform through the exchange of creative ideas and solutions. The mission: Palacio Magazine will be a platform for diverse voices to engage, empower, and transform.
We want nothing less than to be both a catalyst and a venue for the dialogue that we need in Long Beach on a long list of issues facing the majority communities of color. From the future of political power to education, affordable housing, economic development, gentrification to ensuring that these voices are heard.
For years, I’ve spotlighted the shallow media coverage of these communities. That’s why i first joined with New America Media to build Voicewaves and later took on the challenge to restart Palacio de Long Beach print magazine as Palacio Magazine. I strongly believe that there is a place for a different kind of journalism that is the vision and mission of Palacio Magazine.
Now, these are all admirable goals. But this work does not come easy or cheap. Whether it’s the endless search for advertisers or the writers to report the stories, it’s been challenging. But we greet 2016 with a reset determination and a long agenda.
- Palacio Magazine will now be known as PalacioMagazine.Com, a digital platform.
- We will be filing for 501c3 status as a nonprofit in order to seek funding for our brand of advocacy driven journalism
- PalacioMagazine.com is currently in dialogue with prospective partners who share our vision and mission in order to build responsive and strong content creation networks.
- We intend to build our site with video and audio podcast content that is then shared across these networks.
- PalacioMagazine.com plans to co-sponsor a number of campaigns this year including Vote 2016, the history of Latinos in long beach, and a return of two past events, Artpeace and Color Me Long Beach. More on all of these in the weeks ahead.
I want to thank everyone who has encouraged and supported our efforts over the past year. We ask that you continue as we reset Palaciomagazine.Com in 2016. Visit our website PalacioMagazine.Com and like our Facebook page at facebook.com/palaciomagazinelb. If you have questions or suggestions or just want to share your vision for Long Beach, please email us at email@example.com. Thank you.